Public Stuff

 
 

 Article Search

 
 

 Photo Galleries

 
 

 Support


rainforest-alliance

Ulandsorganisationen Ibis

Conservation International

WWF

National Geographic
 

 Movie clips and animations

 
 

 Contact Info

 
 

 Administration

 
 

 Mail Servers

 
 

 Email Lookup

 
 

 External Links

 
 

 Test Sites

 
 

 Windows Essentials

 
 
Fidel Castro stays silent on health, but not U.S.
A new newspaper column signed by Fidel Castro and published Thursday again attacks U.S. policies toward the island but does not address his health.

Foreign Minister Felipe Pérez Roque told journalists in Brazil on Thursday that the 81-year-old Castro is determined to fully recover from intestinal surgery last year that forced him to cede power to his brother Raúl.

''Fidel is doing very well and is disciplined in his recovery process,'' Pérez Roque said.

Castro has not been seen in public since the emergency surgery in July 2006. The state of his health remains a ''state secret'' but has been the subject of repeated rumors and speculation.

The Thursday column signed by Castro said Washington's ''perfidy'' toward Cuba was in evidence in an Atlanta courtroom Monday when lawyers for five Cubans appealed their conviction on charges of spying for Havana and other crimes.

Cuba considers the five ''hero fighters against terrorism,'' claiming they were spying on South Florida's exile community, not the U.S. government, to avert terror attacks on the island.

It was the fourth of Castro's so-called ''reflections'' in newspapers in two weeks. The last time his image was seen in public was June 5.

The column made no mention of his health. His birthday on Aug. 13 passed without any sign of the man who ruled Cuba for 47 years. Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez later said he had spoken with Castro on his birthday.
04 Sep 2007 by admin
The Havana Journal



disclaimer :: display tid 0.0081 :: rss feed